2012 Newport Beach Christmas Boat ParadeBy
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! I really love this time of year. We’re spending time with family and friends, thinking of others and most importantly, making some great memories with our families. Our family has traditions that go back for many years, like making tamales, to newer traditions, like watching the Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade.
The Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade is celebrating it’s 104th year and it is better than ever. Watching the parade is one of my family’s favorite Christmas traditions. We pack warm blankets, jackets, hot chocolate and enjoy watching the boats go by.
The parade will run from December 19th to December 23rd. The parade starts off at Bay Island at 6:30pm and ends there at approximately 9:30.
Here are a couple of tips to make your evening as enjoyable as possible.
- 1. Dress warmly. I forgot to bring gloves last year and I will make sure not to forget them this year. Make sure to pack a jacket and hats. My kiddos always seem to get super cold and I have to pack jackets, scarfs and hats.
- 2. Arrive as early as possible. Traffic is horrible and arriving early will assure you a spot and less congestion.
- 3. Be prepared to pay for parking. Whether you are parking in one of the state lots to an improvised private lot make sure to bring at least 10 dollars for parking. If you want to save on parking make sure to bring good walking shoes and park a little further away from the bay area.
- 4. Bring something warm to drink. We usually bring hot chocolate to drink and lots of fun treats!
- 5. Some of the best viewing spots are the Balboa Peninsula/Ferry area and Balboa Island. You won’t miss any of the action from any of these two spots.
- 6. If you would like to view the parade in luxury splurge for a premium spot. Many of the waterfront restaurants along the parade route have dinner/viewing packages. Check to see if your favorite restaurant is offering a deal.
- 7. Check out this website for additional information.
I know that your family will enjoy this as much as my family does!! I promise!!! It is one of my favorite Christmas traditions. I hope it becomes one of yours too!