If you are looking for something fun to do with the kiddos tomorrow, you definitely will want to check out Discovery Science Center’s Noon Year’s Eve. Families can celebrate the New Year early (and without staying up past bedtime) with celebrations at 12pm and 2pm, December 31, 2009. The kiddos can build a seltzer rocket and create your own personalized party popper! There will also be karaoke and hundreds of balloons with fall from the ceiling as you ring in Noon Year’s Eve! Ginger ale toast included for all guests.
It’s a great way to allow the kiddos to participate in the New Year’s celebrations without making them stay up until midnight. For additional info head over here.
If you are thinking of heading out to Pasadena to view the 2010Tournament of Roses Parade- here’s a list of tips to make it a fun and comfortable experience
1. Layer up- The high for New Year’s Day is supposed to hit a high of 70 degrees- but it is very chilly at night and in the early morning. Dress in layers so that you can easily remove a layer or two when it starts to warm up. If you’re bringing little ones I would also bring scarves, gloves, a blanket and mittens
. 2. Overnight camping is permitted only on the night before the parade. Do not arrive before noon the day before the parade.
3. If you plan on camping – bring plenty of blankets, sleeping bags and pillows. You are also allowed to bring a small barbecue. You may not bring tents or start any form of bonfire.
4. If you are camping be prepared for a sleepless night. I’ve camped out a couple of times with my family and didn’t sleep a wink. The crowd also gets a bit rowdy. I really wouldn’t recommend camping out if you have small children.
5. If you would like to view the parade in style and be as comfortable as possible- splurge on grandstand tickets. For more info click here- Tickets are still available.
6. If you are light sensitive make sure to sit on the west side of the street
7. The Tournament of Roses Parade follows the same route every year: Starting on Ellis St., it heads north on S. Orange Grove Blvd., then east on Colorado Blvd, north (left turn) on Sierra Madre Blvd., and ending at Paloma Street.- Plan ahead to determine where you would like to seat- also there is no public, curbside parade viewing on Orange Grove Blvd. from Del Rosa to Colorado Blvd. and on Colorado from Orange Grove to Terrace. Grandstand ticket holders only.
8. If you would like to see the parade live in person, but have small children or the idea of camping out seems like a nightmare- this might be for you- Our friends suggested to leave about 30-45 minutes before the parade starts and head over to the end of the parade – on Sierra Madre blvd. You can easily find a spot without having to camp out.
9. Parking can be a nightmare. You can park in residential areas but be prepared for a walk. You can also pay anywhere between 10-25 dollars and park close up to the parade route in any of the private lots. If you are planning on this make sure you bring cash.
10. The parade starts at 8am sharp and is approximately 2 and a half hours long.
11. Bring plenty of water and snacks. If you have little ones- bring them along in a wagon and store your supplies in the wagon.
12. If you would still like to view the floats close up but can’t make it out to the parade don’t worry- Buy tickets for the best and most interesting part of the Rose Parade: float viewing. You can get closer to the floats and talk to their builders here. Crowds will be smaller if you can arrive immediately when they open on the morning after the parade. Use an area park-and-ride lot, or if you have a carful of people, try for one of the paid lots near Pasadena High School. I will be covering this in a later post.
Last Tuesday, my family had the opportunity to attend the opening of Disney on Ice- Worlds of Fantasy. I’ve seen a couple of Disney on Ice shows and this one was definitely one of my family’s favorites. Worlds of Fantasy features segments with Cars, The Little Mermaid, Lion King and Tinkerbell. My son and daughter both loved the show!
My son who is an absolute Cars fanatic was in auto heaven!
My daughter who is in love with both Tink and Ariel was in Princess Heaven!
There is a Preshow that is included with your admission and starts an hour before the performance. The Preshow features appearances by a Disney Princess. We were able to catch a glimpse of the new princess Tiana and Cinderella. There is also a collection of ball gowns and mementos from the Disney Princess stories.
Disney on Ice – Worlds of Fantasy will play at the Honda Center until December 27th. It then moves to the Ontario Citizens Arena from December 30th to January 3rd and finishes the run at the Long Beach Arena from January 6th to the 10th.
For tickets and additional info head here
You can receive a special offer if you enter the coupon code MOM and you will be able to receive 4 tickets for $44 on weekday performances or $4 off single weekend tickets. You can order online by heading to http://www.disneyonice.com/ or http://www.ticketmaster.com/ You can also order tickets by phone: 800-745-3000 or at the venue box office.