Road Trip: How to Entertain the Kiddos!By
Summer is here and for our family like many other families, road trips are part of our summer traditions. This summer we plan on heading up the coast for our annual Central Coast trip and also visit family in Vegas and Southern Utah. Before we had kiddos, road trips, were carefree for my husband and I. Our biggest concern was what our playlist would be. Now with two kiddos, road trips take some planning to make sure they take place with the least amount of hiccups, and having kiddos means having some hiccups along the road.
Here are some things I have found useful on our family road trips.
- Make sure to pack plenty of snacks! I always make sure to pack a cooler with mini waters, juice, ice, fruit, fruit snacks and at least one of their favorite forbidden treats like chips(This can be used when the ultimate boredom) hits in.
- Try to leave early or late so that the kiddos can make sure to get in some sleep during our trip.
- Hit the discount store the day before and buy some fun little treats and games. Make sure to ration them out so that they can last on the way there and back.
- Bring some digital help. We always pack an iPad, portable DVD player (We got a great inexpensive one at Target), and if all else fails my cell phone with some games.
- Games! There are some fantastic road games to play with the kiddos that don’t require fancy gadgets and are the same games we grew up playing. We usually play ISpy, the slug bug game(the kids love this one), License plate game and the alphabet game.
- Buy a cheap disposable camera and let the kiddos take a picture of what they find interesting along the way. My kids LOVE this one!
- Make sure to schedule potty and snack breaks. We try to stop every other hour and usually plan out where we will be stopping.
- 20 questions is a must! Not only does it not require packing, it will allow you to spend some quality time as a family and learn even more about each other.
- There will probably be one or two or more “Are we there yet”?’s thrown out during the trip, but with the proper planning road trips can be enjoyable with the kiddos. They allows us time to bond and connect with each other without the bothers of every day life! Have fun this summer!
How Do you keep your family entertained?